Facilities & Directions
Charlie and Kathy Cunningham Basketball Performance Center at Athletes Village
A new era in Golden Gopher Athletics began in January 2018 with the opening of the Athletes Village. The central piece of the project is the Land O'Lakes Center for Excellence which will benefit all Gopher student-athletes. The new Basketball Development Center will expand available practice and training space for those programs.
Steeped in history and tradition, Williams Arena is one of the greatest arenas in college basketball history.
Originally opened in 1928, “The Barn” has undergone major renovations, making the arena not just one of the oldest and traditional buildings in the country, but one of the most complete and cutting-edge. Prior to the 2013-14 season, the arena received a makeover as center-hung LED scoreboards, LED fascia boards and sound systems were installed.
Construction on what is now known as Williams Arena was started in 1927 and completed in 1928, when it was dedicated as the University of Minnesota Field House. It cost $650,000 and initially had a seating capacity of 14,100 with bleacher and standing room expansion to 16,000. The original building housed basketball and winter football practice facilities. When the basketball season was completed, the portable floor was taken out and replaced by a pair of tennis courts and an indoor track.
The building was remodeled in 1950. Renamed in honor of Dr. Henry L. Williams, U of M football coach from 1900 to 1921, it was divided into a hockey arena on one end and a basketball arena with a seating capacity of 18,025 on the other. From 1950 until 1971, it had the largest capacity of any collegiate basketball arena in the country. The capacity has been reduced to 14,625 in recent years due to renovation, fire-code restrictions and handicapped-seating construction. Following the 1991-92 season, the renovation of Williams Arena began as part of a $41 million project for on-campus sports facilities. The first phase was completed in time for the 1992-93 season opener. The men's locker room, training room, weight facilities, spacious offices and team meeting rooms were updated. The locker room was named in honor of former Golden Gopher coach Ozzie Cowles through the more than $100,000 in gifts from many of his former players.
The east end addition is highlighted by the Williams Arena Club on the third floor. The Club overlooks the floor and can hold parties of up to 200 fans, adding another touch of class to an already classy arena. The second phase of the renovation project was completed during the summer of 1993. It included the installation of theater-style seats, the widening of concourse areas and the addition of both concession areas and women's restrooms.
A large portion of the renovation was financed by private gifts, including those to the successful $5.5 million sports-facilities campaign, and by the generous participation of fans through the assured-seating program.
In the summer of 1997, 21 barn lofts above the second deck were built. The lofts offer a spectacular birds-eye view of the court with luxury amenities. The $2.3 million project added 304 seats to the capacity, raising it to 14,625.
Most recently, with the emergence of Golden Gopher women's basketball, the program moved from the Sports Pavilion into Williams Arena to better support its increased fan base. Minnesota has ranked as high as fifth nationally in attendance since the move. Recent renovations for the women’s basketball program include a new locker room for the team and coaching staff, as well as a new athletic training facility and team room.
A long and illustrious list of college basketball’s greatest players have run the Williams Arena hardwood through the years, and many memorable games have been contested within its hallowed walls. The historic arena is among the finest in college basketball and enable that mystique to live on for many years to come. Williams Arena is truly what college basketball is all about.